Not Just Bikes w/ Jason Slaughter
In this week's episode, John catches up with Jason Slaughter the creator of the incredibly popular Not Just Bikes YouTube Channel. He shares what led him to become interested in urbanism and active mobility, how he and his family came to live in Amsterdam, and why he decided to launch the channel.
If you could live anywhere in the world, where would that be?
As you'll learn from this episode, that's precisely the question Jason Slaughter and his wife pondered when they became disillusioned with the overly car-centric design of the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area. With the stakes high, they did their research, relied upon their vast travel experience, and did several "trial-stays" in the finalist cities.
Once the decision had been made and Amsterdam was their new home, they were continually asked by friends, family, and even new acquaintances - Why move from Canada to The Netherlands?
In an attempt to answer these questions, Jason decided to do a little "show and tell" in the form of short videos, and thus Not Just Bikes was born first on the Twitter platform and then he migrated the effort to its natural home on YouTube, where it has just exploded in popularity.
Additional Helpful Links:
Active Towns Landing Page for this Episode - direct access to the videos we discussed
A video version of this Episode on the Active Towns YouTube Channel
Not Just Bikes YouTube Channel and the NJB Live Channel
Not Just Bikes Patreon - support Jason and the Channel!
Not Just Bikes Videos Mentioned
- What Makes a Great City – the video that started it all
- NEW! The video about Houston, telling the story that prompted Jason to care about urban planning
- Why Dutch Bikes Are Better
- We Have No Garbage Day in Amsterdam
- Why Cars Rarely Crash into Building in The Netherlands
- Why Grocery Shopping is Better in Amsterdam
- How America Bankrupted its Cities – Strong Towns concepts
- The STROADS video – Strong Towns concepts
- Cities Aren’t Loud Cars Are Loud – a recent video in honor of Melissa & Chris Bruntlett‘s new book Curbing Traffic
- Jason is not a cyclist and neither are most of the Dutch people who ride every day
BicycleDutch - Mark Wagenbuur and Mark's blog post & video on the 10-year Improvements in Utrecht
StreetFilms - Clarence Eckerson, Jr.
Strong Towns - The Strong Towns Interview of Jason
Strong Towns Bottom-Up Revolution Podcast Interview of John
Plain Bicycle Episode w/ Erin Riediger on the Active Towns Podcast
CNU - Congress for the New Urbanism
High and Mighty: The Dangerous Rise of the SUV by Keith Bradsher
Traffic - Tom Vanderbilt
Miracle Pill by Peter Walker
Audio Production by Active Towns
Please consider supporting the Active Towns Podcast by making a donation or becoming Patron
To sign up for our monthly newsletter, scroll down to the form at bottom of our home page
Be sure to check out our video podcasts on our YouTube Channel
You can reach John Simmerman by email at email@example.com